When it comes to scenery, weather, and a diverse population, Southern California is second to none in the United States. It’s truly a one-of-a-kind area that offers something for everyone, from scenic nature to thriving metropolises. And it’s also the state to be if you work in the healthcare, entertainment, or tech sector.
However, if you’re moving to the Golden State, it’s essential to prepare and plan for your trip. Below, True Property Management is happy to provide some simple advice and resources to help your experience go as smoothly as possible.
Prepare for Living Expenses
California is not a cheap state to live in, so make sure you are ready for everyday expenses before you make the move.
- Between your sales tax, property tax, and income tax, you can expect your tax burden to be quite higher than you’re used to.
- The cost of living is also high in the Golden State, especially if you live near the beach.
- Since public transportation is not as accessible in California as it is in other areas of the country (especially the East Coast), you will need to plan on driving everywhere.
- Within 10 days of the move, you will need to obtain a California driver’s license.
- And you will also need to register your vehicle and get insurance within 20 days of moving.
Plan for the Relocation
For a smooth relocation, be sure to plan as thoroughly as you can.
- Ensure that you have a job lined up, whether it’s the full-time position you are moving for or a gig that you find from a temp agency.
- If you’re a business owner, register your venture with the state. This is easy! You can even establish a California LLC in a half dozen steps.
- Moreover, set up your utilities (e.g., water, gas, electric), internet, and other necessities before arriving at your new home.
- And set up long-distance movers to handle your belongings.
Set Up for a Smooth Moving Day
Even when everything goes your way, moving day can be stressful. So, make arrangements beforehand to keep your stress levels to a minimum.
- Prepare your children for the move by explaining to them ahead of time the reasons for moving, and reassure them that essential routines will stay in place.
- Get a pet sitter to watch over your pet while you’re packing, loading up the truck, and moving your belongings to your new home.
- Research restaurants and lodging on the way so that you can take breaks for rest and relaxation.
- Pack an essentials box (e.g., extra clothes, chargers, snacks) to make your trip more comfortable.
Southern California is a great place to live. Nonetheless, you will want to prepare and plan to make your trip (and new life) go as well as possible. Be sure to get ready for the expenses that come with living in the Golden State, and carefully strategize your relocation, including moving day. In no time, you’ll be settling into your new home on the best coast!
True Property Management is comprised of licensed luxury real estate agents with extensive luxury marketing experience who will market your property with the same magazine quality photography, virtual tours, videos, and professional copywriting you would see in a multimillion-dollar home. Call 866-957-6677.
Article courtesy of: Amy Collett
Image via Pexels